Business Accountant Officer
Business Accountant Officer
The Fair Tax Mark is seeking an accountant to fill an exciting new position in our growing team.
About the Opportunity
We are seeking an accountant, preferably based in Manchester or London, able to review business accounts and financial reports and who can quickly become a key part of our assessment team. We need a talented individual to complete detailed reviews in relation to transparency, tax and ownership.
About the Fair Tax Mark
The Fair Tax Mark is a values-driven organisation and is a registered social enterprise. We run a certification scheme which seeks to encourage and recognise businesses that pay the right amount of corporation tax at the right time and in the right place. We have developed a unique set of standards which allow us to assess the public financial information of businesses. The businesses that achieve a passing score are awarded a Fair Tax Mark and this is used to proudly declare that the business understands the importance of paying a fair rate of corporation tax.
You will be a vital part of our accreditation team, helping guide existing and new businesses through the accreditation process. Your will ensure we have the required information to complete an assessment, reviewing their financial records against our criteria and you will provide advice on how their financial reporting could be improved. Success in this role will require you to deal professionally and efficiently with our partners and be comfortable reviewing tax notes and accounts of FTSE businesses, small businesses, co-operatives, and social enterprises.
About the Candidate
We are seeking an accountant with experience of working with tax and company financial reporting. We would prefer a candidate with ACCA or ACA qualification, but this is not essential. This job will require the versatility to deal directly with clients that range from large multinationals through to co-operatives, social enterprises, and NGOs.
The candidate will need to be an experienced and skilled communicator, able to deal professionally with clients and business enquiries. Working in a small team will require someone able to manage their own workload.
The candidate can be either home or office-based, or a mixture. Our Fair Tax Mark offices are in Manchester and whilst we would prefer a candidate based in either Manchester or London, we would consider applications for home-based workers from other locations in the UK. The offices of the Fair Tax Mark are upstairs in an accessible building. If home-based, the candidate will need to provide a safe, secure and efficient working environment.
Salary and Benefits:
- £30 – £32k for 40 hours per week (depending on experience).
- 30 days holiday, plus bank holidays.
- Stakeholder pension contributions.
- We are open to flexible working practices. We do not use timesheets as we work with set-fee clients.
Areas of Responsibility:
- Act as the first response to enquiries from new businesses, explaining the Fair Tax Mark accreditation processes and standard.
- Ensure the timely collection of the required materials from clients needed to complete a Fair Tax Mark assessment.
- Analysing and reviewing financial information (accounts, tax notes and other materials) against the Fair Tax Mark standard.
- Creating the completed scorecard for our clients that explains where they have performed well, what improvements are required, and why they are needed.
- Assist clients with process of implementing improvements, both during assessment period and between assessments.
- Help collate queries and feedback needed to improve accreditation and re-accreditation processes.
- Act as primary relationship manager to selected business clients.
- Assist with raising of invoices and send to clients.
- Maintain Fair Tax Mark’s internal client management and information management systems.
- Liaising with senior management, providing updates / reports as required.
- Accountant (preferably ACCA or ACA qualified but not essential). Or, significant (3+ years) equivalent practice and experience.
- Familiarity with financial reporting, especially in relation to tax.
- Ability to liaise with business clients in a confident and professional manner.
- Excellent self-organisational skills, ability to meet deadlines, multi-task and prioritise, and work on own initiative.
- Attention to detail and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft software packages, including Word and Excel.
- Values aligned to the cause of tax justice.
- Ability to be flexible and manage own workload whilst contributing to a small, focused team.
- Ability to occasionally travel and work outside normal office hours.
To apply for this role, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please ensure that your CV details your skills and experience in relation to the responsibilities and person specifications set out in the role description.
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Sunday November 29th. We will then invite selected candidates to interview in early December.
Should you have any questions relating to the role or the application process, please feel free to contact us using the email above.